ARES Meeting June 15, 2010
7:00 PM - 8:20 PM
* Wes, WS6Z, Distributed information from NASA regarding Solar Flares that will peak in 2013:
NASA warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation
The article says:
Britain could face widespread power blackouts and be left without critical communication signals for long periods of time, after the earth is hit by a once-in-a-generation “space storm”, Nasa has warned.
National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power in a few years.
Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.
... Scientists believe it could damage everything from emergency services’ systems, hospital equipment, banking systems and air traffic control devices, through to “everyday” items such as home computers, iPods and Sat Navs.
-- Something to be aware of and thinking about.
Wes also present two versions of the maps he is working on. The maps sets had different zoom amounts and fonts sizes. Members present noted which version they preferred. We will take this information into account as he continues to work on the mapping project.
* There was discussion regarding the use of the maps and Wes said that Katie Kelsch from Red Cross will be having interns working on mapping "Red Cross artifacts." This information will be integrated into an overlay for the maps he is creating.
Wes said there is an hour long video about using Open Street maps in emergencies ( Depiction mapping software, www.depiction.com, uses the Open Street Maps). Wes will send members a link to the video.
Gary, WA6TQJ, suggested that Wes contact Kyle Noderer, KB6OLL, at Yolo County EOC to see if they have maps available.
* Wes noted that the Red Cross first aid / CPR class is scheduled for July 10
Until further notice the class is scheduled from 9 AM - 4 PM. Darrin also passed out flyers for the wilderness First aid class that Red Cross will be teaching.
* Wes informed Darrin know that he paid for the antenna / Balun kit.
* Darrin asked Charles, N6JOA, and Pam, N6OLO, to introduce themselves and discuss their work.
* Charles, works at UCD School of Veterinary Medicine. He told us about the UC Davis Veterinary Emergency Response Team (VERT). VERT has received on of the 55 foot trailers that are Incident command centers with communications, sleeping quarters, and kitchen. Eventually this will be used to help coordinate the rescue of animals in emergencies. Gary, WA6TQJ, noted that when he was dispatched to the San Diego Fires, that ham did a lot of work coordinating the status and welfare of animals. Charles noted that in emergencies, people are hesitant to leave their animals. There are plans to co-locate human and animal shelters in emergencies.
He also discussed the coordination of resources and VERT and animal rescue.
Darrin and Gary will be meeting with Charles soon to tour the mobile emergency Incident command center.
* Pamela, N6OLO, is a Nurse Practitioner at UC Davis. She is very familiar as is Charles with the ICS system form their years of work in search and rescue.
* Wes noted that this weekend is "Kids Day" Saturday, June 19, 2010, 1800 UTC – 2400 UTC.
This is a great way to get kids on the air and you can have a great time!
* Darrin will be checking with Katie Kelsch at Red Cross regarding the June 25, 2010 Hospital evacuation exercise. It would be good if Yolo ARES could be involved.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:20 PM